Monday 7 October 2019

Kir Royal.


I took the number 46 bus from Gare du Nord and got off at Porte Dorée. It looked the same, smelled the same as it did when I used to live in a little attic apartment on Place Eduard Renard. Big, wide intersection, McDonalds on one corner, Burger King on another and Café les Cascades on another. I took my usual seat in the café looking right across at Hôtel Porte Dorée and ordered a whiskey. It was almost six o’clock. Whiskey’s more of a nine o’clock drink. Two elderly ladies came along propping each other up as they walked slowly along Avenue Poniatowski. They took the table next to mine. When they both ordered a Kir Royal I recognised them as the two ladies who always used to take an aperitif there at 6 pm and it was always a Kir Royal. The colour of the drink matched the shade of their hair, and even more so now that they were older. The dog one of them used to carry in her back was not in the bag. It must have died.

No comments:

Thingummy

Long way into town.

The guest house was cool and quiet. From under its thatched roof and high ceilings I stepped into the already stale morning. It was like w...