Friday 2 January 2015

Living in Ireland.

I felt particularly grateful getting up this morning. As the dull morning broke over the city I was struck by the opulent wealth I enjoy.

I know others who will look at a morning like this and complain that it's cold and grey and that rain's not far away.

I know plenty who will moan at the prospect of having to get out of bed, get washed and dressed and go to work. There is always something to complain about and if it doesn't come readily to mind they aren't long finding it.

I admit that I succumb at times to that negative, self-pitying attitude, grateful for nothing and wanting more. And it shames me.

Today as I step out of a warm, comfortable bed I have an abundance of hot water to shower under, though I opt for cold water. I have breakfast to eat and a family to care for. I have a job to go to and a car to drive, a garden to delight in and I'm surrounded by leafy avenues and open countryside.

I live in a country where I can believe what I want and say what I want so long as I don't harm anyone else. I have access to books and information and I know how to read.

The value of the health care available to me and my family and the opportunity for education outstrip the small amount of tax I pay.

I'm so grateful that I live in Ireland.

No comments:

Thingummy

Long way into town.

The guest house was cool and quiet. From under its thatched roof and high ceilings I stepped into the already stale morning. It was like w...